When people ask what is the point of life, the easy answer is to continually better oneself. We do this in a number of ways but often the most common way is by increasing our academic knowledge. People see those with a lot of academic knowledge as the smartest and most developed people. Look at Einstein, the picture of genius, who succeeded in an academic way.
The thing is, there is much more to development than just academic knowledge. Yes, academic knowledge is great but it is not the only essential thing. In many ways, the most important is holistic personal development.
Personal development is a key component of who we are as people. It means not developing your mind in terms of what you know, but developing yourself. If academic knowledge is knowing more about the world outside yourself, personal development is about knowing about the world within yourself.
For many, personal knowledge is the most rewarding and by looking introspective, it is possible to begin to change who you are and where you are going. If you do not look inward and if you do not develop yourself inward, then change will not happen.
Look at every person who has ever altered the course of their lives and careers. This did not come about randomly. At some point, they reflected and made changes about themselves. By looking at things in a different way with a different perspective, it has allowed them to change their entire lives and often for the better.
It is not possible to be successful just on academic knowledge. You need to develop yourself beyond that. You need to know who you are and where you are going. Otherwise, you will have what you believe to be successful, but you won’t be. You need to have more than that and it comes from developing yourself personally.
There are many ways to do this including:
- Having a mentor and life coach who you can talk to and can help you learn more about yourself. It will entail difficult questions, which is always the key to personal growth.
- Meditation is highly effective for looking inward and learning more about yourself in a spiritual way.
- Doing things that are creative, including writing, painting, poetry and more. This is a great outlet of expression. Don’t worry about not being good at it, at the end of the day, it is for personal growth and not for showing off.
- Look at yourself as someone looking at you. What would you think about yourself?
- Write your own obituary as it is now, and how you want it to be. What do you want your life to look like at the end of it? While a little morbid, having those goalposts can help you begin with the end in mind.
If you want to be more than you are now, academic knowledge is great, but personal knowledge is much more important. The path of fulfillment and happiness can be found. It all begins with you, and depends on you being ready to make that inward journey.
Homework Elves is an education portal that enables students to get academic help on-the-go. Don’t spend hours on repetitive tuition – Free up your time for personal development. Visit www.homeworkelves.com