Kids are definitely acting way older than their age nowadays. Why not inspire a change and turn your laundry session into a fun bonding experience with them? Bring out their innate abilities to develop their skills, cultivate their sense of responsibility – all while making chores fun for them!
Parents, take note of these 3 conditions prior to challenging your kids to laundry championship.
- Ensure that the laundry area is child-friendly. Clear all heavy shelves and make sure that the area is organized, so you need not worry about your kids tripping.
- Engage your little ones with safe tasks. Educate them beforehand on the dos and don’ts. This helps cultivate healthy habits for them.
- Monitor their accomplishment, until you know they are confident to be on their own.
Of course, every child has different capabilities with handling task. Here is a guideline which you could engage your fabulous little ones on what they can do at different stages.
Begin with the age of 3
- Play identifying colours to keep them interested. Ask questions where to place soiled laundry, and perhaps begin with picking easy items like socks or handkerchief.
- Encourage them to put away their soil clothing into a designated bin every time they remove their clothes. Let them place their clothes into the washing machine.
- Task them with soiled laundry collection at home and place them into the correct laundry bin.
- Practice with them the habit of clearing pockets.
- Motivate them to hang their own towels after shower.
- Share with them on the proper load size, and avoid over-loading and damaging the machine.
- Show them how to put away their fresh clothing in the correct drawers.
- Extend their knowledge by learning to hang up fresh hand towels at home.
- Demonstrate how to fold basic items, starting with simple towels or wash cloths.
- Prompt them to put folded towels and then fresh clothing in their closet.
- Encourage them to sort family member’s soiled clothes by colours and white laundry.
(Depending on the model of your washing machine)
- Show them how to turn on or stop the washing machine.
- Show them the correct place to pour the detergent and how much to use it.
- Share with them how to categories materials which should be washed in the same load.
- Teach them what buttons to press and the most often used function for your wash load.
- Avoid overloading the children with too many instructions on how to operate washing machine functions.
- Explain the complete machine functions and when to use them when they are ready.
- Use coloured stickers if you notice that they have difficulties remembering.
- Go through with them several times till you are assured that they can be left on their own.
- Introduce items which should go into the mesh net laundry bag and identify which materials are required for handwashing.
- Explain why coloured and white clothing should be separated.
- Familiarise them with all the settings for different materials and wash load.
- Go through with them the process again in case they are still unsure
By this stage, your kid should be ready to complete the full laundry cycle. Here is a checklist for reference.
- Learn how to fold all fresh laundry properly.
- Learn the different settings and wash load on laundry maintenance.
- Cultivate the habit of emptying the lint catcher
- Able to fold all clothes and put away fresh clothing into the closet.